Cosmo Cricket Card & Tutorial: Using Punches to Make a Tree

8.28.2010


Happy Saturday! Today, I wanted to show you how to make your own tree using a heart-shaped punch. First, I started out by hand-drawing the tree trunk onto patterned paper (don't worry for any non-artists out there - it's a pretty basic shape). Then I cut out the trunk and taped it to thick chipboard and cut it out once more (the chipboard is optional but I wanted the tree trunk to have some dimension on the card). 



Now, choose a green paper or several papers in different shades of green and punch out as many heart-shaped punches as you like. I ended up punching out about 22 hearts, but didn't end up using that much for my tree. 



To add texture to the heart-shaped leaves, I used my white gel pen and traced around the edges of the heart and added veins to about half of my leaves. Then I used a brown chalk stamp to ink up the edges of a few leaves for some shadow and more dimension. 



Then, to start the branches of the tree I attached a few leaves directly onto the background paper to get the shape and size of the tree's leaves (this will be my outer layer). Then, I used foam tape for the rest of the leaves for dimension and continued adding layers of leaves starting from the outside and working my way in. 



And that's it! This was so simple, I can't wait to try this technique again! 


Patterned Papers: Pixielicious; tree trunk is Mr. Campy; both from Cosmo Cricket
Other: Puffy Clouds; Orange Stickles; Khaki Glimmer Mist; Rub-On Sentiment; Uni-ball Gel Pen in White

No comments:

Post a Comment