Vintage Paper Goods - Little Golden Book

10.27.2010


Well, I'm on a mini-vacation this week. My soon to be mother-in-law is visiting us all the way from Idaho this week. So we took a few days off to spend some time with her. Before breakfast this morning, I woke up early to make something a little different. I was inspired by Betsy Veldman's challenge to create something using a vintage item of choice!


I created this card using Cosmo Cricket's Wanted papers and an image from the Little Golden Book titled, Fury Takes the Jump. And yes, it's the real page from the book! I know, I know...you're probably thinking I am crazy, but I found this book at a garage sale for only 25 cents. While most of the pages are in great condition, sadly there were two pages that were torn. Either way, I felt that I would get the most use out of this book by using the images to create something new. 


The book is Copyright 1958. Before making this project from the book, I did read the story to my children. It was so funny because the words used in the story are so different from the way we speak nowadays. How the times have changed...sigh!


Well, I hope I've inspired you to rummage a good garage sale or find some vintage things in your attic to create something new. You never know...you may just end up loving something even more with a fresh new purpose! 


Thanks for stopping by and for any comments!



7 comments:

  1. This turned out so darling! I feel your pain at cutting up a book -- I'm so fond of books that it almost feels like canabalism to me! Lol. But I recently broke down and made a paper flower out of a very worn out copy of Across Five Aprils. I got a box full of books for $2 at a Library Sale, so it probably cost me a dime. And it turned out so cute that it eased some of my guilt. :o)

    Glad you worked up the courage to cut into this one! It's truly adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this challenge of Betsy's and am having fun seeing what everyone has come up with. This turned out so sweet. The twine, horse and banner are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Christiana - yes, it was so difficult to decide to cut that book. While I was cutting it, I kept thinking "don't mess up, don't mess up". I think I held my breath the whole time. lol

    @Geri - thanks for your sweet comments. I just love Betsy's blog and this challenge just called my name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly, I love this!! What a perfect card for a little boy! I love how you did the sentiment with the banner. Thanks so much for playing along!!

    Paper Crafts Go-to Gal
    Betsy Veldman

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful!!! I would've had a tough time cutting into that one- but the results are worth it!!! Congrats on winning Betsy's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Kimberly! I was born in 1949, so the books don't seem strange, but you should watch some of the old tv shows. That is indeed really different, like being in a small, small town!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Betsy V

    Betsy, I just can't tell you how happy I am that you chose my card as the winner for your vintage challenge. Your cards are my favorite and I always look forward to your blog posts and creations in Paper Crafts magazine.

    Thank you for the challenge and your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete