DIY Gift Box Template

2.18.2011


It's Friday and I am enjoying a nice, long, four-day weekend. Whoo hoo! Today I wanted to share a little tutorial on how to create an adorable little gift box using recycled items found around your home and scrap paper. The best part is that this little box makes an amazing gift that cost almost nothing to make! You can't get any better than nearly free, right?


Each morning you can find me applying my Bare Minerals make up foundation. I won't leave the house without it. Well, the other day I bought a new box and just when I was about to toss the empty box I noticed how small and cute it was. I thought, "I am so going to make something out of this!" So, instead of throwing it away, I used the box as a template. What a genius idea!


I traced the box template around a scrap piece of double-sided pattered paper, cut it out, and scored the edges. I used a single strip of score tape along the edge to seal the box together. So far, this cost me around .25 cents worth of scrap paper - not too shabby! 

And I saved the Bare Minerals box template to re-use another day. 


After folding my box together, I gathered up the supplies that I wanted to use for decorating my box. I ended up not using two of the pieces in the photograph, but I took the photo before changing my mind. Oh well! 

That beautiful ribbon was handmade and hand-dyed by me (a.k.a. yours truly)! I love the variations of pink and the gorgeous antique look. The crinkle texture makes it so shabby sweet! I am smitten!


Here is a photo of the box top. The double-sided paper is a perfect surprise when you open it up. 


And here is a close up of the front side - all decorated and dressed in its Sunday best! I just love how lush and full the embellishments look on this small little box. 


Inside the box, I was able to fit one-dozen Hershey's kisses - just enough to satisfy that sweet tooth and perfect to set on a table as a hostess gift or a wedding favor. And because I will be planning my own wedding very soon, I am keeping this gift box as an idea for my own wedding favors. Wouldn't these boxes look gorgeous sitting on each place setting at the table?


Well, I hope you enjoyed my tutorial! It was just another one of those ideas that came to me from who-knows-where, but I am so happy it came to me nonetheless. Overall, I estimate this box cost me around .40 cents to create. I can totally afford wedding favors on that budget!

Thanks for stopping by!

Supplied Used for "DIY Gift Box" Tutorial"
Patterned Paper: (Lost & Found) My Mind's Eye
Ribbon: (Cotton Candy Pink) by Kim Duran
Button (Sweet Blush) Papertrey Ink
Twine: (Rustic Cream) Papertrey Ink
Tag: ProvoCraft
Stamp: (Love Lives Here) Papertrey Ink
Ink: (Antique Linen) Ranger; (Desert Sand) Memento

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea and tutorial, Kim!! :o) And the finished product couldn't be more beautiful! The flowers and ribbon are so lovely -- everything looks gorgeous together! And *huge congrats* on your upcoming wedding!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! So pretty and creative. Awesome job!
    ksimonedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a girl after my own heart with your recycling project, Kim! This is absolutely adorable. Love, love that MM Valentine paper you used and your hand-dyed ribbon is fabulous, too. I think these would make wonderful wedding favors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT idea Kim!! You are so crafty. Love the way you decorated your box. I agree with Audrey, great for a wedding favor!

    ReplyDelete