Little Notebook Tutorial

4.28.2011



Hi everyone! Today I have a tutorial that I am sharing here and over at the Papercraft Star blog, creating a little mini notebook using just a few scraps of paper. Yes-sir-ee! We are using up those scraps - in a very resourceful way. Trust me - it's easier than you'd think!


Step 1. Cut out two pieces of scrap paper 6 1/2" x 3" - one solid cardstock and the other patterned paper. Score both pieces at 3 1/8" and again at 3 3/8" - this will create the seam backing for your notebook.


Step 2. Add glue or some type of adhesive to the solid piece of cardstock. Place a piece of ribbon across the top, then adhere the patterned paper directly on top to cover to the solid paper.


Step 3. Gather 3 sheets of paper. I used grid paper because of its unique pattern. Stack them all together and run through your paper trimmer to measure 3" x 2 3/4". Cut a strip of solid paper that measures 2 3/4" x 3/4" and fold in half. Add glue to the strip of solid paper and adhere to the side of the grid paper. This will keep all your papers together - especially if you use a generous amount of glue.

I used a small clip to hold all the papers together while the glue dried. I only waited about 3-5 minutes. 


Step 4. Once the glue is dry, add another layer of glue to the outside of the strip of solid paper. Place it into the notebook cover and squeeze the binding together.


Step 5. I used my bone tool to add a small seam down the spine of the notebook. This allows the notebook to open up nicely. Plenty of space to write a sweet little note inside!


Now it's time to decorate! I added a simple piece of chipboard and used small sticker letters to write "Notes" on the front cover. Just tie your ribbon and you've created a nice little notebook ready to give to someone or keep for yourself! 


I plan on giving this little notebook to my daughter, who loves to doodle and write little notes to herself. She is especially fond of post-it notes, but I am always finding them all over her room. This might be a better alternative - plus it's super small and super cute!

Oh! And don't forget to enter your projects for this week's challenge with us at Papercraft Star! You have until Sunday, May 1 at 9:00 p.m. (eastern). 



Supplies Used for "Mini Notebook":
Cardstock Scrap: (Spring Rain) Papertrey Ink
Patterned Paper Scraps: (PennyLane) My Mind's Eye
Chipboard: (Restoration) Crate Paper
Sticker Letters: (Tiny Type) Cosmo Cricket
Ribbon: (Firefly) paperlovesglue.etsy.com 

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic tutorial Kim. I am going to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for the scraps of paper. Thanks for sharing ! BTW, I love your new blog design. Regards, Liliana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super-cute notebook, Kim!! :o) Thanks for putting together this awesome tutorial -- looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks for the way awesome tutorial!! Looks great, your daughter sounds exactly like my son!! I just made to make him a mini notebook that he names 'home of the Ewocs' (star wars is a new obsession). Too fun. The card also came out just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tute Kim! You know I'm a huge mini fan so I love this. :-)

    ReplyDelete