Stamping On Candles - Papercraft Star Challenge 42

4.20.2011


Today at Papercraft Star we are celebrating the upcoming Earth Day by creating projects using recycled or re-purposed items to help save the Earth!

Now I am not really sure that my project will help save the Earth, but it did delay one box and several pieces of gift packing tissue from being tossed into the recycle bin by re-using it for a new purpose.


In my stash of scrapping supplies, I found a box of alpha-chipboard that only had a few pieces of the alphabet left. I decided to re-purpose this packaging into a gift box full of little tea light candles!


I simply traced the box onto my patterned paper. Then I had to measure the center of the paper to allow the window pane to show through. Easy enough, right?


I painted the bottom piece of the box and added re-purposed tissue paper from my stash of gift wrapping supplies. To achieve the grassy look, simply fold your tissue paper several times and cut into small strips. For color, lightly spray some glimmer mist onto the tissue paper. 


For the candles, I stamped a doily pattern directly onto more tissue paper and added a hole punch to the center. Then I placed the tissue paper directly over the wick and onto the wax using my heat gun to melt the tissue paper into the warm wax. I placed the candles in the freezer for just a few minutes to cool them down before placing them into my box.


Last, I tied a simple bow around my box and embellished with a vintage button I found at the flea market and a hand-made resin heart locket. 

So! We've got a few re-purposed items here: box, tissue paper, vintage button, and tealight candles that I found in my home. An easy gift that didn't cost me anything, and was created by using items I already had in the house!

So what do you have around your house that you can re-purpose into something lovely? I want to see your Earth-friendly projects at Papercraft Star! Here are the deets...


Earth Day Theme

Create a project with Earth Day as your inspiration. Include a recycled or re-purposed item in your project to help save the Earth! Don't forget to tell us what it was in your blog post. 

You have until Sunday, April 24 at 9:00 p.m. (eastern time) to enter your creations and be eligible to win!  Good luck everyone!

Supplies Used for "Candles Gift Box":
Box: Re-purposed
Patterned Paper: (Emma's Shoppe) Crate Paper
Grass: Re-purposed tissue paper; Glimmer Mist
Button: Re-purposed vintage find
Heart Locket: hand-made resin embellishment

10 comments:

  1. What a fun little gift! The papers you used are beautiful and any time you can spare something from the trash is a good thing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim this is absolutely STUNNING. Dawn♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea! You turned those little candles into something really special, and what a charming gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever and very pretty project Kim!! You always make the bestest stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want to try that tissue paper on the candle technique. I've seen that before and it looks fantastic. Awesome recycled project and a really cute future gift. :-) Have a blessed Easter weekend with those you love. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, this project is wonderful. I love the repurpose of the container and how you beautifully decorated it and the the candles. Anyone would be thrilled to receive such a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous project Kim. Altered projects are my fave. Great job on this. Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always look forward to visiting your blog to see what you have created..this is so clever and so feminine... I just adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would make a beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every one will gone love this gift. I like the posting it is a simple idea to give better look to our gift.
    dean graziosi

    ReplyDelete