Wish List Notebook for The Kraft Journal

8.22.2011

Hi everyone! I hope you all enjoyed your weekend. I have something a little different to share with you today for the new challenge at The Kraft Journal. Today we are creating projects based on a movie, song, or book. 

Normally, I'd make a card but thought I would create a little gift for my son instead. A little "wish list" notebook for him to write the things he wishes for - like, for Christmas or to buy with his allowance money.


Way before Christmas is in season, my son gets his Christmas list ready. I guess he wants to be sure that he doesn't miss anything that should go on his final Christmas list to Santa. Of course, there are several revisions and finally, mom has to step in and have him make his final cut.

Fortunately, my son is happy to oblige and picks his top three or five items.

I thought this notebook would be a great way to capture what he loves at this time in his life. So I guess it's really a gift to myself because I look forward to looking back and seeing what he wrote in it years from now. 

So let's take a peak at what I created....


For the inside of my book, I used the Vintage Dictionary Pages from The Kraft Outlet and added a little journal card with my son's name. The pages were hand cut from grid paper and I did some random hand stamping on the bottom right corner of each page.


I divided up the book into four different sections with sturdy chipboard and covered with Brown Kraft, Light Kraft, and Buff Ivory cardstock. Then I used my sewing machine to stitch pockets onto each side. 

For each pocket, I used journal tags from various October Afternoon collections and stapled a piece of Twill Tape onto each one. This makes it so easy to pull each tag out from the pocket and is a good place for my son to keep little pictures of things he may want.

Each section has been categorized and labeled as such - books, games, toys. After showing my son, he said "well, I think I might need more pages for just the games section" - ha! Go figure! A little boy and his passion for video games. 

To finish the whole book, I used my Cinch binding machine to punch the holes and add the spiral binding. This has got to be the best little machine ever! 



And if anyone wants to create something similar, here are the details of my book:

- Book pages: 5 inches by 6 3/4 inches
- Sheets of paper: 40 pieces total and divided into 10 sheets per section
- Dividers: 3 pieces of chipboard used as dividers, plus 2 more for the front and back cover
- Spiral binding: 1 1/4" binding (I punched out 12 holes for the binding)

Well, I hope you are inspired to play along with us at The Kraft Journal. You don't have to create anything this detailed - just be inspired by either a movie, song, or a book and link up your creations! I can't wait to see what you'll all come up with!


Cardstock: (Brown Kraft, Light Kraft, Buff Ivory) The Kraft Outlet; Patterned Papers: (Lil' Man) Cosmo Cricket; Tags: October Afternoon, (Vintage Dictionary Pages) The Kraft Outlet; Twill Tape: (Natural) The Kraft Outlet; Chipboard: (Lil' Man Chip 'N Stick) Cosmo Cricket, (Chipboard) The Kraft Outlet; Stickers: (Tiny Type) Cosmo Cricket, (Black Apothecary Stickers) Jenni Bowlin; Binding Machine: (The Cinch) We R Memory Keepers


This project has been linked here:


Making Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party 



6 comments:

  1. This is SO fabulous, Kim! I love the whole idea of crafting this for your son, and I love how it came out. The tabs and individual pockets are awesome. Love the pull out journaling tags, too. And you are so making me wish I had one of those binding machines. :)
    I needed a book like this for my son recently. He's having his 16th birthday coming right up, and had written me his birthday wish on a scrap of paper......which somehow I've promptly lost. Sigh..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had thought of this idea when Kara was little. What a great way to know what they like and later have it as a great little treasury of memories. You clever girl you. :-) I need to pull out my Cinch and make a book for something! LOL See what you've started. :-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea! It can be treasured forever! My mother in law has given me some of the things she has saved over the years. It has meant so much to me to get those gifts. And a good laugh at my husbands report cards!
    Kindest regards,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea! It came out so adorable, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every thing that Audrey and Tracy said I second!! This is just wonderful and so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, friend! You've got so much creativity in your blog and I'm admiring all your creative posts. Can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete