Envelope Tutorial for Embellished Cards

9.14.2011

***This is my second post for the day. 
If you are here for the Papercraft Star challenge, please scroll down.***


Hello everyone! Today, it's my turn to share a little tutorial with you over at The Kraft Journal's Watch Me Wednesday feature. I am sure you love to create cards and send them to your friends and family, right? Well, I do too! If you're like me, you probably like to use lots of embellishments on your cards. Let's face it...it can be difficult to mail a bulky card.

Well, not anymore (said in my best infomercial voice)!

Today, I am going to share with you the envelopes I create to mail my cards that have lots of layers and embellishments. 



Start by cutting your favorite cardstock 8.25" square. I used Brown Kraft from the Kraft Outlet. Place your cardstock on your scoreboard so that it looks like a diamond. Score at 2 5/8" and again at 3 1/8". Then rotate your cardstock 180 degrees so that you can repeat on the opposite side. 

Once you have both the left and right side complete, rotate your cardstock 90 degrees. Then score at 3 2/8" and 3 6/8". Then one more time, rotate 180 degrees to repeat on the opposite side.



Next, cut out the corners where the score lines have created a triangle shape. This will make it easy to fold when it's time to assemble your envelope. For a nice detail, I used a corner punch tool to round the edges of my envelope. 



To create a liner for your envelope, adhere your favorite patterned paper to the top flap of the envelope. It's ok that the paper does not cover the entire envelope because it will not show when the envelope is complete. Trim off the excess paper.


Fold the left and right flaps down first. Then, fold the bottom flap upward. Secure with strong adhesive. I use a hot glue gun.


Now that your envelope is assembled, place your card inside and secure with more glue to seal. I used just a small dot of hot glue at the tip of the flap. This makes it oh-so-easy for the recipient to open it, but it still sturdy enough to place in the mail. 


That's it! So now you have no more excuses for not mailing out all those cards you've been creating. And just think of what fun you can have stamping or decorating your envelope too. Oh happy mail!

If you'd like to print this tutorial, just click on the image below. It's been re-sized to print and keep in your craft room. Enjoy!



There is still time to play along in our current challenge this week at The Kraft Journal. This time we are playing along with sketches. Yeah! Just pick any sketch, from anywhere, create your take on the sketch, and link up!


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Edited to Add:

I forgot to mention that this envelope will require two first-class postage stamps due to the thickness of the envelope. But it's worth every penny! Thanks for everyone who has been sending emails to me with your questions. If there is anything I've left out, just let me know! I am happy to help and will respond quickly!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Supplies:    
         
                                                               
       
   
     
         
                                                               
       
   
     
         
                                                               
       
   
     
         
                                                               
       
   
     
         
                                                               
       
   
     
         
                                                               
       
   
     
         
                                                               
       
   
     
         
                                                               
       
   


39 comments:

  1. Ok, Back it UP! I was looking for the PCSC, but just had to put it in reverse because this is such a good idea! I have got to try this one out, and thank you for the print out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kim! I've been trying to find a good way to mail my bulky cards....and there you come with a fantastic tutorial! Thanks for sharing, I am already making one, yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I always end up using a larger envelope but don't like the way it looks. Thanks for the instructions!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one FANTASTIC and very useful tutorial for those of us who love to pile on the embellies!! Great work my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim I saw your tutorial on TKJ and LOOOOVED it! So perfect~ I will certainly be giving it a try! Thanks for taking the time to share it, I know how time consuming a good step by step tutorial can be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Tutorial! I have it printed out and will keep it with my ScoreBoard!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic tutorial! Thank you! You have taken great pictures and perfectly clear instructions!
    Kindest regards,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great tutorial Kim! I'm sure I'll be using it in the future. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, you are a genius!! This is absolutely brilliant, Kim! I usually use bubble wrap padded mailers, but this is so much better! Love, love, love it! And omyword, is that card ever gorgeous, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous tutorial!! I can't wait to try, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome tutorial! and thanks for th nice, neat cheat sheet! I love this idea and will be sure to use it. thanks for getting back to me on the postage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AWESOME! Thank you, Kim for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome. Great tutorial and such helpful tips on making this large envie. I'm going to pin this to my card board if you don't mind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great, but it needs to be mailed with added postage since it doesn't fit in the 1/4 inch slot required for regular mail by the post office. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bee! Yes, this does require two stamps for mailing. But worth every penny!

      Delete
  16. oh my garsh, i have thought about this forever. do you have to mark it "hand stamp" so they dont smash it all to bits?

    lori brown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori! I haven't ever marked "hand stamp" on this when sending it through the mail. Because I place two stamps and the thickness exceeds the 1/4 inch size, the post office won't run it through the machine. Arrives safe and sound each time!

      Delete
  17. oh my garsh, i have thought about this forever. do you have to mark it "hand stamp" so they dont smash it all to bits?

    lori brown

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for the directions! a wonderful thing to have!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for the tut...what size card will fit in this envelope?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaggs, this envelope will fit a standard A2 size card that measures 4.25" x 5.5". Enjoy!

      Delete
  20. Thank you for this. Wonderful idea. Can you do one for a 5.25x 5.25

    Hugs,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kim, This is my first time visiting your site. Love this idea. I will return. You have been bookmarked. LOL. Thanks Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for this amazing tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Would love to have instructions for an A6 card.....5x7?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darlene, I will certainly add instructions for an A6 card and other sizes too. Very soon!

      Delete
  24. Hi Kim, I don't have a scoring plate just the trimmer. Can you supple dimensions for the envelope using the scorer on the trimmer? I can't seem to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. One of our DT members just shared your link and I am glad she did. Thanks!

    Georgiana
    Carson's Creations

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Kim!

    Thanks for the great tutorial. I tried the cardstock at 8.25 but it didn't allow for enough overlap to glue the sides. I tried using a true 8.5" square and it worked out beautifully using your measurements. I wonder if you meant to type 8.5 all along. Anyway, thanks for the great instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for the great and helpful tutorial. I made a envelope by this tutorial and i love this idea very much.
    http://svetcraft.blogspot.co.il/2013/04/a-white-card-for-white-wedding.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. This worked great and I did print out the tutorial. I made a couple back in Feb. from someone's tutorial and couldn't remember where I saw. Thanks so much for the printable too and having your site name on it so I can find you again.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so excited to find this!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I can't wait to try this. I was just saying today that I didn't know how to make an envelope for a card. YAY.. I do now!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for your fabulous tutorial and the easily downloadable instruction sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is great. I'm wondering if I could send the purchases of my tags over to this tutorial? I know that often my digital tags are embellished, glittered, and generally "sized" up.
    www.digitalcollagepapers.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete