Wish You Were Here! Waltzingmouse Sketch 64

9.10.2011

Today is a new challenge at the Waltzingmouse Sketch blog! Yay! And we are so excited to welcome two new Mischief Maker's to team. Please join me in welcoming the talented Renee Lynch and Teresa Kline! I hope you'll stop by their blogs and say hello.

When I sat down to create this card, I really wanted to use my new stamp set, Free Spirit. There's just something about this set that reminds me of days at the beach, relaxing in the sun. I immediately thought of my daughter who was talking about wanting to learn how to surf. She always asks me questions about when I used to lifeguard on the beach and thought I should teach her how. I just laughed it off because while I am a swimmer at heart, I never learned to surf. 

Anyhoo, I created this card with that idea in mind. Sun, surf, beach.


My daughter loves to wear her checkered Vans shoes - a staple here in California. I used the checked patterned stamp from Off Beat Backgrounds to replicate this look. Then I did a masking technique to add a pale aqua grid pattern, then did a gradient stamping effect for the circles. This kind of reminds me of those old OP shorts that everyone used to wear. Remember those?



I used Bitty Banners and Frame It for my sentiment. Then, embellished my card with ribbon, some little surfboards, and a Hibiscus flower.



When I was done with this card, I showed my daughter. She said, "this is very Californian". Then, she quickly took the card, walked away with it, and placed it on the bookshelf in her room. Ha! Ok...I guess she likes it!

It's good to know this card has found a new happy home!

Here is the sketch I based my card from. I hope you'll get a chance to play along with the rest of the Mischief Makers at Waltingmouse!


Cardstock: (Aqua Mist, Rustic Cream) Papertrey Ink
Stamps: (Off Beat Backgrounds, Free Spirit, Frame It, Bitty Banners) Waltzingmouse Stamps
Ribbon: (Ocean Mist) Etsy
Button: (Emma's Shoppe Collection) Crate Paper



10 comments:

  1. I love it!! This is probably my all time favourite set and I love what you've done with it - so feminine and funky! Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is stunning, i adore the design, the bow and the surf boards embellies...so sweet...hope you have a fabby day!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kim! The ultimate validation of a card is for one of your kids to like it, LOL! Doesn't matter if the rest of the country does..haha! It IS fabulous, I can definitely see why she absconded with it! Love that blended stamp on the background and those awesome surf boards, dude! It rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this card Kim! The colors are fabulous and those surf boards are adorable, the perfect touch! TFS, Regan

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder your daughter loves this, it's wonderful, such sunny bright colours, a fab design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just looooove this card, Kim! It does remind me of everything fun and "80's surf" just like you said, yet it is so modern, feminine, and lovely at the same time! I went to middle/high school on the Jersey shore and smiled at the OP shorts and Vans sneakers references! EXCELLENT design and a most beautiful color scheme...I would have snatched it up for myself, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great take on the sketch! I love the colors you used for the background and those surf boards! I don't think I've ever seen this set so feminine and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I get it why this card speaks to me so much, I am a California girl too! I love the bright color combination and how funny that you called the black and white "Vans". Really nice card this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous!! BG is perfect with blended colors and surfboards absolutely fit!! Love everything and yes, I remember those OP shorts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GOOD GRIEF how did I miss this stunner!! Incredible card!! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete