No Peeking...

11.21.2011

When I was little, if you told me "no peeking" at the gifts under the tree, then you might as well have not put any gift under the tree at all. Once I was put under the influence of "don't look..no peeking..or wait until Christmas," it was at that moment that I couldn't resist the temptation to pick up each little gift, shake them, and try to see if the Scotch tape was loose enough for a peek.

My grandma was famous for wrapping the gifts too loosely. She only used two pieces of small tape, so you could easily peek inside the gift wrap. We used to have so much fun, my sister and I, peeking through the packages the eve of Christmas, giggling that my grandma did not know what we were up too. hee hee!

Now that I'm grown and have children of my own, I make sure to not only use plenty of tape when wrapping gifts, but to not tempt them by putting the gifts out the night before. Plus, it's better for me anyway because I am the type of person that wants to let them open all their gifts right away! I love this time of year!

Enough reminiscing.

Here's my project for today's Kraft Journal challenge... 


I started with a simple kraft box and decoupaged Vintage Dictionary Paper around the sides. I wanted the paper to look vintage, so I crinkled the paper while it was still wet from the glue. Once dry, I layered a thin coat of white paint, then gave it some age by adding Old Paper Distress Ink

For the lid, I used a scrap of holiday patterned paper, then coated the sides with more white paint. I lightly sanded the edges of the box to give it a shabby look. Then, I created a simple bow using Buff Ivory Cardstock and trimmed the edges with pinking shears. I stamped and cut a holly leaf from Waltzingmouse's Festive Foliage set, added a pretty green bow, and Garnet Stick Pins.

The hang tag was stamped with a sentiment from Season's of Love - Tags. To dress the tag up, I replaced the white string it came with for Red Baker's Twine


Inside the box, I added small pieces of tissue paper that I stained in light green. Adding some chocolate truffles makes this a quick and easy gift with a personal touch. I just love homemade gifts - don't you?

If you're feeling inspired, I hope you'll play along with our "Christmas Gifts" challenge this week at The Kraft JournalRemember that followers of the Kraft Journal who play along are eligible to be featured during the "Feature Me Fridays" posts as well as be entered to win a $15.00 Kraft Outlet store voucher! The more challenges you enter, the better your chances of winning! 

Have a great Monday, everyone!






4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is SO beautiful, Kim! Love, love, love the transformation on that little kraft box. The white paint and vintage dictionary pages look so amazing and beautiful. Love the vintage feel. And love how you embellished the top with the holly, flower, and bow. That paper bow is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous, Kim! I love that holly with the paper bow atop the bock and the dictionary pages are such a pretty, vintage touch! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kim, what a gorgeous gift box! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many fun things on this box I just don't know where to start! One of my favorites though is that pinked bow. Love it Kim! Totally fabulous project for the challenge. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete