a CASE of Joy | Chalkboard Typography

12.10.2012

It's time for a fun new Group Project with Clear and Simple Stamps. Today, the design team is featuring ideas for CASE'ing one of our previous and favorite CSS projects using the Limited Edition: Joy stamp set. 

CASE'ing is such a wonderful way to be inspired by your own creations. It can be something as simple as being inspired by the colors, the layout, to embellishments. Whatever catches your eye about your favorite projects is what should lead you into recreating it with a new twist.  


I did just that with my project for today. Typography is one of my great loves. It's surprising to see how a beautiful font can have such an impact in art and design. Back in August 2011, I created a simple back-to-school card (shown below) that featured a chalkboard as the focal point. I posted about it here


Being inspired by the simple layout and focus on the text, I CASE'd my card by playing with different sentiments to create a unique chalkboard typography art piece. 

After looking at all the wonderful sentiments from the Limited Edition: Joy set, I wrote down several possibilities for ways that each sentiment would form the perfect quote. To make all the sentiments align, I filled the blank areas with ornate flourishes using Au Naturel Extras - perfect!

To create the chalkboard style, simply stamp your sentiments onto black cardstock using a watermark ink. My favorite is From An Anonymous Source from CSS. When the watermark ink is still wet, add white embossing powder. Shake of the excess and apply heat with a heat gun. After the embossing powder has set, add another layer of stamping using white ink. The trick is to offset the stamping slightly to create a third dimensional look. 

To really give it that chalkboard style, lightly swipe a thin coat of white ink directly over the entire area using a sponge or buffing pad. Just make sure your stamping is dry first to prevent any smudging. 


Be sure to see what the rest of the design team has CASE'd for the Clear and Simple Stamps Group Project. You can see them all here:
And of course, if you have any questions about my project, just let me know!



6 comments:

  1. I love that technique - it's so hot right now! Your card is absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, I love the chalkboard effect! Both cards are simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I really have to try this technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous Kim!! I love the chalkboard look. Must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim! That Christmas card is absolutely gorgeous! I just saw the tutorial for the chalkboard stamping a couple of days ago and I can't wait to try it! TFS, Regan

    ReplyDelete