A Star is Born | Creating a Faux Watercolor Effect

6.11.2013

I just love the darling sentiment "a star is born" from the Little One stamp set from Precious Remembrance. For my card today, I am featuring a "star" theme in soft pastels that remind me of watercolors.


First, I used pink ink to distress the cardstock and give it a radiant effect. Next I added washi tape to the bottom of my card. I masked off the wheels from the stroller and stamped the image at the top of the washi tape and replaced the wheels with buttons. I then paper pieced the polka dot patterned paper to give it some color.


Now the fun part! I used the dashed border stamp with a star pattern and gave it a careful curve when placing it onto my stamp block. Curving your stamps is a great way to get even more use out of your images in an unexpected way. I also curved the sentiment to follow the curve of the border stamp. 

To give it the watercolor effect, stamp off the star image onto a scratch piece of paper first to remove the excess ink, then stamp directly onto your project without re-inking. This will leave the remaining ink a softer, more subdued style similar to watercolor. I think chalk inks work best for this effect. Last, I used a glitter pen to trace the edges of a few select star images. I think it adds just the right amount of sparkle. 

Well, that brings an end to my project for today. I hope you'll give this technique a try with your stamps.

Thanks for much for visiting!


P.S. Google Reader will end on July 1. Continue to follow my blog on Bloglovin to stay updated!


3 comments: