Goodbye, Google Reader!

6.30.2013

Today is the last day for Google Reader. I know so many of you, like myself, have been using Google Reader to follow all your favorite blogs. I was a bit shocked when I heard the news months ago. But as the saying goes, when one door closes, many more will open. 

Since the announcement, I have been trying out two different alternatives to Google Reader. So far, it's a tie between Bloglovin' and Feedly - although I think I am leaning towards Bloglovin' as my favorite. 

Here are my top five reasons I am loving Bloglovin':
  1. You can search new blogs easily. I have found several new blogs that I've added to my reader just from searching a topic.
  2. Blogs I follow are neat and organized alphabetically. So if I want to see only a specific blog, just click from the list and I'm there. 
  3. You can "like" or favorite a blog post and Bloglovin' will store it for you. You can go back to your "liked" pages at any time. 
  4. Sharing is easy. Just "share" and you can post to Facebook, Twitter, etc. 
  5. I love the simple image preview. Google Reader never had this one and that was just lame. 


And if you hurry before tomorrow, Bloglovin' will import all your Google Reader subscriptions over with just one click. So don't worry about manually transferring all your subscriptions over. Bloglovin' will do all the hard work for you!

Step 1. Sign up with Bloglovin'. After you sign up, you will see the following message. Click on "Import from Google Reader."


Step 2. Click "Accept" when Bloglovin' asks permission to manage your data in Google Reader.


Step 3. Bloglovin' will import your subscriptions over from Google Reader. It took me a matter of two seconds. Yes, I counted! 


Last, Bloglovin' asked me if I wanted to add an icon to my Chrome browser. I said "yes." It's a nice way for me to see if there are any new blog updates without having to check in Bloglovin'. 


Now don't get me wrong, even though I am recommending Bloglovin' more over Feedly, Feedly is a beautifully designed reader. And I mean, stunning! I just prefer a simple approach to reading blogs. Feedly seams to be fast and so streamlined that I've often skipped several of my favorite blogs because of how fast you can flip through the pages on my iPad. Maybe it's better for browsing on your computer instead? 

I don't want to skip anything - that's why I am choosing Bloglovin' as my favorite reader for now. 

So that's it! Pretty easy, right? I hope you find Bloglovin' a great place to get cozy and catch up on all your favorite blogs. 

And as for Google Reader....change is a good thing. 




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this info. I never used google reader,but I think I might start with this . Very kind of you to help some of is out that are not very up to date on things like this...thank you!

    ReplyDelete