Tutorial | Fortune Cookie Rewards & Printable

7.02.2013


So summer is here. I don't know about you, but asking my kids to do chores around the house can be like pulling teeth. This summer, I got smart (I know, finally). I decided on giving them a great way to earn rewards for the extra special things they do to stay on top of their chores. 

My son is the worst - he loves to collect laundry and legos in his room. Have you ever stepped on a lego with your bare foot? Oh it's just awful! 

My daughter, on the other hand, loves to keep bottles of nail polish and cotton balls laying around the house.

Anyway, asking them to do their chores is just too much of a chore for me. So I came up with a fun new way for them to earn rewards by keeping up with their chores without me having to ask! The bonus? They are even coming up with creative ways to do extra stuff around the house. Yes, extra!

How? 


I used the new Take Out Box die from Clear and Simple Stamps and came up Fortune Cookie Reward Treats. When I notice my kids have done something extra special around the house or to help one another, they can pick a fortune cookie from the box. Inside each cookie is a super cool reward for doing an awesome job. 

You should hear what kind of crazy things my son is trying to come with in order to get a new cookie from the box! He is hilarious!


Here's how you can make your own fortune cookie reward system too.

1. Die cut a large circle from cardstock. 2.5 to 3 inches wide works best. I used the largest circle die from the Shapes: Circles combo pack.

2. Ink up each circle using distress ink. This will give your treats that "fortune cookie" color. I used Brown Leather Satchel ink to distress each circle. 

3. Add a small piece of strong adhesive to the edge of your circle and roll it up like a burrito (ooh, burritos!).

4. Now place your fortune inside the opening and fold the circle in half (download the printable below).

5. Add more strong adhesive inside the crease to keep it sealed shut. 

6. Approximately 4 to 5 fortune cookies will fit inside the Take Out Box

And just because I didn't want you to leave without a little something, I created a template for you to print and use for your own fortune cookies. 


I hope you enjoyed my Fortune Cookie Reward Treats idea. My son has already earned a trip to the toy store and movie night. We saw Monsters University and it was so fun! My daughter has already earned a new outfit from the mall and more nail polish (of course!).

Give it a try and let me know what kind of rewards you came up with!

Font Used for Fortunes: Chinese Takeaway




3 comments: